Sunday, November 3, 2013

Utah Cliffs Loop - Day 4

After a windy night of not much sleep I reviewed my status and options. I could continue riding and trying to complete the loop, but the odds were against me. By now I realized that the high altitude and serious amount of climbing had set me back enough on my daily mileage that completing the loop on time was getting difficult if not impossible. In addition I had my bended rear derailleur. After some fumbling around it seemed to be working fine, but did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. From here on there were no short cuts or "Hey can you come and pick me up".
I settled for riding back to Cedar City via Cedar Breaks Memorial Park. This would add some more climbing and maybe satisfy my "Biked at > 10,000 ft altitude goal". In addition Harry told me that Cedar Breaks Memorial was supposed to be beautiful.


Autumn Colours at Hancock Peak

Highest Altitude of my trip 10,493 ft
On my way to Cedar Breaks I enjoyed beautiful fall-coloured views of Hancock Peak. The morning was cold and I was happy that I put on my leg/arm warmers and a wind-tight jacket. The climbing continued and after 7 miles I reached my peak altitude of 10,493 ft.

Entering Cedar Breaks Memorial Park

First Overlook at Chessmen Ridge
 


Harry was right. The views from Chessmen Ridge and Sunset View Overlook were magnificent. They made the climbing, cold and lack of oxygen worth while.


Second Overlook at Sunset View


At Sunset View an older couple was getting out of their car as I walked back to my bicycle. As I was mounting my bicycle they were rubbing their eyes as if they saw a ghost. "Did you really bike up here?!". I had a good laugh about it and told them next time I would rather take the car.
Now it was time to descent whatever I ascended the day before! The previous day the 18 mile stretch to this very point took me over 3 hours. Today it took me less then a hour to get back down where we started.

Baurn-platte at the Wunder-bar restaurant.
These bottles look better with some Utah dirt on them!
Did have to stop half-way to shed some clothes and tune my breaks a bit. The long downhill had worn down my brake-pads enough that my brake levers were now touching my bars.
I arrival in Cedar City around lunch-time and found this pace where they served some German food. I treated myself to a farmers plate and a large soda.
After lunch I called an old colleague in St George and asked if he could give me a ride back to St George. He was happy to do me the favour and a few hours later I was back at my hotel in St George.



Miles: 31.1
Total Descent: 4,987 ft
Highest Altitude: 10,556 ft.


See Garmin Connect Map for details.
More pictures of first day can be found here: Drop-box link Day 4


No comments:

Post a Comment